Friday, September 28, 2012

Aretha Franklin : I Say A Little Prayer


There have been many many versions of this song but for me the best and definitive version of this song is the one by that greatest of soul voices, Aretha Franklin. Released in 1968, it was actually a B-side to The House That Jack Built.Amazingly, House did not chart but this song went all the way to No. 4. Listening to it, one can quite clearly see why.

I know that most people are familiar with the Dionne Warwick version which was featured in the Julia Roberts / Cameron Diaz flick My Best Friend's Wedding (and apparently the song was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for Di)


But for me Dionne's version is too easy listening for me. Aretha's version is more ballsy, has more meat and more oooomph and for me it is the definitive version.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tLCRUWCETK4

No comments:

Post a Comment